Sakinalu are the traditional snacks made in Telangana Region of Andhra pradesh for sankrathi festival.They are made of rice flour and sesame seeds.
Raw Rice (4 cups) or Rice flour (2 Lb)
Ajwain seeds(Oma) (25gms)
Sesame seeds(Nuvvulu) (100gms)
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Soak the rice with enough water for about 4-5 hrs,drain the water let the rice dry.
- When the rice is dried grind the rice in a grinder till it becomes fine powder.
- To Skip the first two steps you can buy Rice flour (ERAWAN BRAND,its a product of Thailand) from any Korean stores(Lotte Plaza,H-Mart)in US.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds lightly on a low flame and let them cool down.
- In a large dish add the rice flour,salt to taste,Sesame seeds,Ajwain and mix altogether.
- Now add water slowly to get proper consistence to the dough.
- The dough should be soft enough to spin neatly without sticking to your fingers.
- Take a bowl of water and dip your hands,take small quantity of the dough in hand and make circles with thin lines on a white cloth so that the cloth absorb the water in the flour and when sakinalu are deep fried in oil it will not absorb much oil.
- Repeat this process to make all the sakinalu and let them dry.
- Now heat a frying pan with oil to deep fry.
- Take the sakinalu slowly with help of a flat plate and fry them in the oil till light brown in colour.
- This snack is long lasting will last for a month or two when it is stored in an air tight container.